(making the sauce reduction)
This subtly mediterranean flavored roast chicken dish will leave a long, yummy impression in your belly and taste buds! I make a lot of chicken dishes because the hubby and I avoid eating red meat as much as possible (besides the occasional burger or steak). I found this recipe on Smitten Kitchen’s new cookbook and it is now forever dog-earred as one of my favorite chicken recipes! I highly recommend eating this with a loaf of crusty italian or french bread because the sauce will definitely be worth soaking the bread in! If you are not willing to spend a ton of time for dinner, give this dish a go. I roasted a batch of simply dressed brussels sprouts and parsnips as a side dish.
Roasted Olives, Grapes, and Rosemary Chicken
(Adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
- 3 lbs chicken (variety of bone-in, skin on chicken legs, thighs, breasts)
- 2 cups seedless red grapes
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 F. In a skillet or dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Brown the chicken until nice and crispy…about 4-5 minutes on each side. Leave the chicken in the skillet/dutch oven and throw in sliced onion, kalamata olives and grapes. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of minced rosemary. Bake in oven without lid for 30 minutes.
3. Once taken out of oven, remove chicken, grapes, olives, onions – all out of the skillet and set aside in a serving platter.
4. This is where you will make the sauce. Bring the skillet or pot with all the drippings/juices to a boil. Add the white wine and chicken stock as well as the other tablespoon of minced rosemary. Reduce for about 4-5 minutes until it is reduced by half and thickens.
5. Plate your chicken with the onion, grapes and olives and generously spoon sauce over all that goodness and serve with side dish or yummy crusty bread! Garnish with fresh sprig of rosemary optional.
I made a quick green smoothie for my husband and myself as dessert. This one I made a bit sweeter so I don’t crave anything afterward =)
My Power Green Smoothie recipe:
- 1/2 pear
- 1/2 banana
- 1/3 cup ripened sweet pineapple
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed